Monday, August 08, 2005

IT'S GREAT TO HEAR FROM YOU GUYS!!!

THANKS FOR LEAVIN MESSAGES! (Mitch, Brian and Nic, and of course my wonderfully awesome brother whom I miss a whole bunch too... Everyone else who wanted to leave a message but never got around to it... Thanks!)

Things are going really well! I just went to Jeru's cousin's house the other day, the cousin who plays for Juventus... Man THAT HOUSE IS HUGE! It's got a tennis court and a pool and everything... But the thing I'm loving the most is Jeru's little niece... Pauli!
She is SOOO CUTE.... and she has the biggest cheeks EVER you'd just want to bite them... She looks so cute and when she smiles its sooo funny... I'll show you guys videos when I get back!

This country is full of physical insecurity and yet at the same time there is an overlying familial sentiment that seems to bind everything. Just this last Saturday, the house keeper, here at the house, was on the bus and heard one man talking to another man, later she realized that the man who was talking was actually robbing the other guy ... On a full bus, in broad daylight... So the other guy refused and got up and started walking to the front of the bus... And before she knew it.. The robber shot the man. And still no one did anything... And then the dying man crawled to her feet and begged her to keep him from dying after which pieces of lung or blood started coming out his mouth... The point of that gruesome tale is that we need to appreciate what we have in Canada... and learn from these people. I felt SOOO welcomed here in the church the first time I came... Everybody and I mean EVERYONE even those who could not speak English welcomed me! I was shocked... Everytime I'm in the car, i wave to people on the streets and they wave back even though they don't know me... the point is that there is still such camaraderie despite the distrust and physical insecurity that these people experience.

This place is far from gorgeous in terms of BC life... the roads suck and its really dusty... I just learnt that cars don't stop for you when you put your foot on the road... they actually come faster... there are no rules and some drivers in Canada (mainly Chinese and Indian) are blessings in terms of the way they drive compared to this place...

Poverty is widespread down here and new diseases everyday... I am truly amazed at the lives that these people lead... They are still so happy and welcoming despite their situation... In Canada... no one talks to me on the streets even though I wave. Everyone only cares about "numero uno." I urge you to look around today... Some people are not worth helping or welcoming into fellowship with one another... but some are... and we need to make a conscious effort to look around and start making Canada a friendly place where everyone is family!

On the family front...

things are going great with Jeru's family... I've had some good talks with both her brothers and with her Dad too... Despite the language barrier. I am able to understand a lot more Spanish and I can speak pretty fast now too... I've only been here four days and with all the things that has happened it feels like I've been here longer...

Jeru's sister is awesome! She is so nice and she's hilarious too... Her extended family (her uncles and aunts), according to Jeru, love me... and her dad apparently likes my personality... According to him, I'm "calm, unlike the rest of the family where everyone speaks really loud and has all kinds of hand actions and are constantly talking."

I must admit, I really had Jeru's dad pegged wrongly... I told myself on the Airplane that I had to be me... No matter what... I can put on some show after traveling for so long... I'm glad I can be myself amongst these people too... I really love all of them very much...

Her cousins man... There's this one named Diego... HE'S AMAZING witht he guitar... you should see how fast his hands move...
Jeru's church friends are really great too... one of them might be comin up to Canada in 2007 so hopefully he can meet you guys!

I love them all here... I really do!

It's a whole different life that it is back home... so much more simple, and familial, yet fraught with physical insecurities everyday.


I miss you all too... I wish you all could be down here... I met a Canadian the other day in Jeru's church and it was awesome... We hit it off... He lives in Abbotsford!

Anyways...

Take it easy

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jesh,

Sounds like you're having an amazing and educational experience. It really makes you realize that all our materialstic endeavours that we think make us happy really mean nothing in the end, when you can look to people that have nothing but are still happy. It must be great to be in a city with such a sense of community. I know when I head off to the more remote areas in BC, there are people that will wave at you on the road as well, but never in the city! It's good to hear that you're getting along well with everyone, and that your Spanish is coming along! I guess that's what immersion will do to you ;) Has Jeru started to refuse to speak English to you yet? :P

A quick note with regards to soccer; we tied toe-punt last night 4-4, and the team we were supposed to play today forfeit, so we're doing not badly! We definately miss you calling out Stalion and encouraging all of us though, as well as providing some size in the backfield!

Take care of yourself bro!

Anonymous said...

I just checked my gmail and found out about this. Sweet. Now Katie and I can keep up with y'all (That's American for "you all"... see now you are learning TWO languages!!!)

Glad to hear all is going well. We miss you here at church. The worship went fine on Sunday, but next time I play, you're going to have to be up there with me. Learn something from Jeru's cousin on the ol' geetar (sorry, American again), and come back and teach me.

Our love to Jeru!

Ryan

Anonymous said...

come on lah jesh when are you ever calm dude. heh heh....no seriously be yourself. you have got the hand actions down to an art form, thats your trademark dude!!!

anyways miss you lah deh! tell jeru, zara and i miss her too and wish she was back so we can make more jokes at her expense