Saturday, March 25, 2006

The "PEOPLES" Action Party

I am truly amazed at the efforts of Dr. Chee Soon Juan of the Singapore Democratic Party. The "PAP" or the LKYAP, has dominated the Singaporean political scene since Singapore's independence.

I do not deny in the least how great Singapore has become, and LKY has done a great deal to better Singapore.

Unfortunately, in a bid to keep power, the party has also used tactics to essentially both cripple support, and cripple the members of any sort of opposition party in Singapore. This is a disgraceful act. I think that a political party, with as much clout as the PAP has, should have principles, and not cut off bus service to areas that have voted for the opposition or upkeep of HDB flats in the area.

You can read more about the injustices suffered by Dr. Chee Soon Juan at his blog or visit my friend Sheng's Blogspot for his view on things.

Amnesty International Canada (GO CANADA!) has stepped into the debate and I would ask anyone who is interested to show your support for this man and the injustices that he has suffered at the hands of the Leeigme.

Take it easy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Power corrupts, and absolute power...corrupts absolutely. Singapore has progressed economically, it is a highly organized country, with no natural resources, save for its people. As such, the government has to keep a tight leash on the people, and dissent is frowned upon. We have a very fragile economy, and we cannot afford for investors to view Singapore as being unsave, susceptible to riots, etc. It is the reality of life...somethings got to give. There is no perfect balance, we sacrifice individual rights for social cohesion and unity. The government has delievered in many ways, and the judiciary in Singapore is very hard-working. It is actually quite good, and the members of the High Court bench are truly titans of the law. Chee had his chance to contest the case, and he could have surely secured the services of a lawyer....he did not do so, he allowed deadlines to pass...and then judgment was entered against him. He could appeal, he did not. So, whilst I emphatise with his plight, I also think that some of what happened to him is of his own doing. It is basic tenet of the law, that you cannot merely quote from sources, but substantiate your contentions through emphirical investigation. Even Chiam See Tong has sued for Defamation and has been successful. So, it is not all one-sided. ....well I am not defending PAP, but just that we need to balance the perception...

Anonymous said...

You are absolutely right, and all sides of the case should always be heard!

This is interesting though.

Jesh